I retired from the magistracy in 2015 after 17 years mainly as a presiding justice

United Kingdom
My current blog can be accessed at https://thejusticeofthepeaceblog.blogspot.com/

A MAGISTRATE`S ILL JUDGED RANTS?

 10. May. 2010. – 18:19:19 

Having the luxury of a couple of hours for doing the garden or watching Sky News I chose the latter. Perhaps some digging would have been a better for my psyche. G Brown has just told the world that he will resign as leader of the Labour Party so that a new one can be unveiled at the party conference in September....the new improved variety no doubt. 


All this is in the public interest for stable government. Various acolytes came to the microphone to consider and comment on this magnanimous statement including John Mann MP who graced the TV screens a couple of days ago telling der fuehrer to get lost.


As magistrates my colleagues and I are used to hearing testimony under oath on many occasions. In my opinion to hear the weasel words of those in whom we trust to serve us through internal and international machinations, serves only the purpose of individual or party aspiration, is not just profoundly depressing; it continues the process of a public distrust in the integrity of our representatives and although thankfully the BNP lost its trousers in the election I am acutely aware that a more refined and appealing demagogue than is currently around can only be over the political horizon with carefully crafted sound bites and popular appeal. Truly the ground is being laid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment