I retired from the magistracy in 2015 after 17 years mainly as a presiding justice

United Kingdom
My current blog can be accessed at https://thejusticeofthepeaceblog.blogspot.com/

MAGISTRATES SHOULD BE ABLE TO SIT PAST 70

 03. Mar. 2010. – 19:15:29 

It`s well known now that this is the age of the baby boomers; those fortunate enough to have been born between the end of WW2 and 1960. I`m proud to mention that I`m one of them. Like the others I have been blessed with the most nutritious feeding in my younger years from free orange juice the unique taste of which is still there in a few synapses of my long term memory, the daily supply of free milk at primary school, the lack of junk food because it was not available and a grant from the local authority which along with vocational working allowed me to emerge from a university education owing not a penny. But then I was part of the privileged some would say 10% of eighteen year olds who attended university.

Like my peers I look forward to being intellectually and physically active until I make it four score years unless the gods on high will it otherwise. The Ministry of Justice certainly wills it otherwise. Retirement for Justices of the Peace at 70 is compulsory. The Magistrates Association takes a not unsympathetic view to the possibility of this age being extended provided the individual has retained all the competences necessary to do the job. Its Council is meeting on 25th March and will be discussing this mandatory retirement age. If and when I meet the biblical three score years and ten I hope that health, demographics, economics and wise counsel will prevail with the Ministry and I will be able to extend my time on the Bench. 


No comments:

Post a Comment